- Download 827
- File Size 113.75 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date January 14, 2022
- Last Updated March 23, 2022
2022 - ZEC VACANCY ADVERT
CALL FOR PUBLIC NOMINATIONS FOR PERSONS TO SERVE ON THE ZIMBABWE ELECTORAL COMMISSION (ZEC)
The Committee on Standing Rules and Orders of the Parliament of Zimbabwe is mandated in terms of sections 237 and 238 of the Constitution, to nominate candidates for appointment by his Excellency, the President, to serve as Commissioners of the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) as provided for in Chapter 12 of the Constitution.
The Committee on Standing Rules and Orders is hereby calling on the Public to nominate six (6) persons to be considered for appointment to the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission to fill vacancies arising from the expiry of the terms of six (6) current Commissioners (four (4) female and two (2) male) on 6th July 2022.
The functions of the Commission and the person specifications are given below:
- ZIMBABWE ELECTORAL COMMISSION (ZEC)
Functions of Zimbabwe Electoral Commission
In terms of Section 239, The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission has the following functions—
- to prepare for, conduct and supervise —
- elections to the office of President and to Parliament;
- elections to provincial and metropolitan councils and the governing bodies of local authorities;
- elections of members of the National Council of Chiefs established by section 285; and
and to ensure that those elections and referendums are conducted efficiently, freely, fairly, transparently and in accordance with the law;
- to supervise elections of the President of the Senate and the Speaker and to ensure that those elections are conducted efficiently and in accordance with the law;
- to register voters;
- to compile voters’ rolls and registers;
- to ensure the proper custody and maintenance of voters’ rolls and registers;
- to delimit constituencies, wards and other electoral boundaries;
- to design, print and distribute ballot papers, approve the form of and procure ballot boxes, and establish and operate polling centres;
- to conduct and supervise voter education;
- to accredit observers of elections and referendums;
- to give instructions to persons in the employment of the State or of a local authority for the purpose of ensuring the efficient, proper, free and fair conduct of any election or referendum; and
- to receive and consider complaints from the public and to take such action in regard to the complaints as the Commission considers appropriate.
In terms of Section 238(4) Members of the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission must be Zimbabwean citizens and chosen for their integrity and experience and for their competence in the conduct of affairs in the public or private sector. Section 238(5) further provides that such persons may be re-appointed for one further six (6) year term.
Nomination material must consist of a typewritten submission of no more than two A4 pages long stating why the person nominated is a suitable candidate together with a completed nomination form which can be obtained at Parliament offices or downloaded from the website: www.parlzim.gov.zw.
Nominations must be addressed to the Clerk of Parliament in envelopes clearly marked Zimbabwe Electoral Commission and must either be posted, hand delivered or emailed to:
The Clerk of Parliament
Cnr. K. Nkrumah Avenue and Third Street
P.O. Box CY 298
Closing date of submissions is Friday 18th February 2022
“A SAZ ISO 9001:2015 Certified Organisation”
DOWNLOAD THE NOMINATION FORM: ZIMBABWE ELECTORAL COMMISSION